To my loyal & valued customers,
This fall is shaping up to be a productive end-of-season fishing experience. With the expected late season stocking of our area waters and the influx of water into the streams, we have the makings of some stellar fishing to be had. In late September or early October rivers like the Nissitissit, Squannacook, Millers, Deerfield, and sometimes the Quinapoxet receive a final stocking.
Watch for the Fish and Wildlife MA web report to indicate where and when late-season stockings take place.
As we wind down our season on the water, take a look at New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont for some close-out trips to your season. Call or e-mail me at the shop for some ideas on where to go. I can be “bribed” into giving out some sweet spots!
Watch for the DFW Stocking Report at the end of September as the fall stocking will take place by the 1st week of October in our area rivers. Hooray for water in our rivers!
Regards and See You on the Water,
ESFS Sidewalk Sale – September 19
On September 19th, I will be running a sidewalk sale for some rods, reels, gear bags, and other fly gear as well as some tying stuff. There will be some really fine buys during this sale.
At least one person and possibly as many as 3 people will be putting their gear etc. up for sale as they no longer are fly fishing and have asked me to liquidate their items.
Please bring cash for the sale. All sales will be final with no returns allowed. Checks will also be accepted. Viewing starts at 8:30 am with the actual sale beginning at 9 am sharp. All items will be priced to sell.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to get some substantial savings on used items in really fine condition.
Rain date is September 26th. Same time.
Fly Tying Classes
Fly tying classes for beginners will be starting up in October 2021. Call the shop or e-mail for details on taking a class this fall/winter. I teach the class and will go over many aspects of successfully starting to tie flies during the 5-week class. It is a comprehensive “learn to tie” class. You will need a vise and tools. I supply all the hooks and materials.
ESFS Guide Service
Bryan Parker will be spearheading a new ESFS offering of guide service. We will be guiding both for cold as well as warm water species. Please call or e-mail the shop for pricing and schedule availability for Bryan and Scott.
ESFS Thoughts on a Purchase of a new Outstanding Rod:
Many considerations are given to thought when making a substantial purchase of one kind or another – in this case a new High-Grade fly rod. Here are some ideas that may resonate with you:
1) Purchase the rod for the “rule” – meaning that it should be the rod that you will fish most often when you venture out to your most frequented rivers or ponds. Make sure the rod fits the geography where you want it to perform.
2) Have the rods’ taper explained in detail to you. Make sure that you cast it, if possible, before shaking your head vertically as a sign of ownership.
3) Check on the rods’ guarantee from the company of origin. Misfortunes are a part of fly fishing!!
4) An outstanding fly rod gets “better with age” – Meaning that as your skill set develops over time your new rod will actually perform better! You will extract features from the rod that were “hidden” from you but now benefit your enhanced skill set.
5) Realize that the fine instrument you purchased will never lose its’ efficiency. It’s not like milk over time – it will not go bad!
6) While price is important, it should not be the overriding reason for purchase. Treating yourself to a new finely detailed rod that meets all of your expectations will be worth the price. If your purchase price causes you to “eat hamburger helper” for the next year or so – Don’t buy the rod.
The feeling of quality workmanship and increased efficiency in your hand has subtle benefits over time that truly move the needle of enjoyment.
Come in to see the line-up of new Thomas & Thomas and Hardy Rods that are truly at the top of their class. I can assist you with all of your requirements.
Internet Purchasing vs. ESFS Purchasing
When you take a look at the rewards program being offered and all the products I carry for your needs, it should become apparent that I’m trying to meet the needs of everyone in the fly fishing community.
Please look closely at the rewards program in conjunction with your purchase needs as I can confidently make the claim that with the rewards program the Evening Sun Fly Shop is the least expensive fly shop in America – Bar none!! There is no fly shop that I know or any conglomerate, mega box store that competes with my prices.
|Internet Purchasing||Evening Sun Purchasing|
|Can’t see or touch product||See, touch and feel before you buy|
|Often you pay for freight/shipping||No freight/shipping charges|
|No custom fitting on waders or boots, sunglasses, or any item where sizing is critical||Try it on before you buy it. Sizing is critical to your purchase|
|Not usually a knowledgeable, trained person to talk to who has used the product(s)||Well skilled, trained people to talk to and explain your needs|
|Minimal if at all rewards program||A rewards program that yields up to 31% for your purchasing. Unheard of in the industry!!!|
These are at least 5 reasons to consider calling, stopping in or e-mailing the shop before you CLICK the mouse. You will help to support a local business that truly cares for you as a client and you will pay no more and always get FREE shipping to your door. Please try us out!!
ESFS Tentitive Dates
ESFS Sidewalk/Estate Sale – Sunday, Sept. 19th Preview starts at 8:30 am
Beginners “Learn to Fly Fish” School – TBD
So you think you know everything?
The ESFS will be running every month interesting factoids…
September 22 marks the start of fall! This year’s Autumnal Equinox occurs at 3:20 P.M. EDT on Wednesday, September 22. At this time, there are approximately equal hours of daylight and darkness.
CUSTOM Bamboo Rod for Sale
2 piece custom Gove Hill Bamboo Rod 7ft 4wt for sale at the shop. Custom designed for me. I chose to buy an alternative rod so this gem is for sale here. Priced at $995.
New Fly Tying Items
New items that have arrived at the shop:
1) Lots of different soft hackle skins for wet flies and emergers
2) A very beautiful Red Fox skin that I have placed into pieces
3) A very different and unique Silver Fox skin – cut into pieces. Both these skins can be used for Streamers, tailing material, and dubbing needs.
4) New Streamer and Wooly Bugger Hackle. Lots of new colors including dyed grizzly specimens.
Millers River maps
Finally in. Come and take a look at the latest & greatest map created by the shop for this river.
Squannacook and Nissitissit maps
Get your map of the local rivers – the Squannacook & Nissitissit that I created in the store. 700+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.
Deerfield River maps
Announcement: I have finally finished the third map in the series: Come in and get your new copy of The Deerfield River Map.