To my loyal & valued customers,
Our area rivers have been given a break by most anglers this fall due to really low water and lack of stocking by Mass. DFW. There are some fish still holding in the deepest of pools. Your best bet is to wait until all the pine needles and leaves have come down and swept away by the little current that we have. You will have to walk to find the pools on the Nissitissit and Squannacook. They are there but require some recon on your part.
The Farmington, Hoosac, Deerfield, and Swift Rivers are all very good places to fall fly fish. I am just back from another trip to the Farmington River. This was not a stellar trip because the rain raised and clouded the river. Saw many rising fish at Greenwoods and was able to hook at least 3 before the rain, mist, and higher water dictated that it was finally time to go home. My opinion — The Farmington is the best overall river from 5 New England States – Maine, excluded.
Just a reminder, Holiday Gift Certificates are available at the shop this year for the holiday season.
Pat Perkins, an area Bamboo Rod maker extraordinaire, has decided to put his exquisite collection of recently made rods in the shop for sale. Come in to see his collection and become an owner!
Wishing you all and your families the very Happiest Thanksgiving!!
Regards and See You on the Water,
November 2022 Shop Sale
1) All Temple Fork Professional Series I Rods are 20% off — all sizes, all lengths
2) Excluding TFO Rods if you purchase any waders, rods, lines, reels, wading boots, etc. and you exceed $250 in purchases — You will receive a 20% discount on your entire purchase
With these incentives, you should be able to find some really nice stuff to round out your gear!
ESFS Guide Service
Bryan Parker will be spearheading a new ESFS offering of guide service. We will be guiding both for cold as well as warm water species. Please call or e-mail the shop for pricing and schedule availability for Bryan and Scott.
ESFS Thoughts on a Purchase of a new Outstanding Rod:
Many considerations are given to thought when making a substantial purchase of one kind or another – in this case a new High-Grade fly rod. Here are some ideas that may resonate with you:
1) Purchase the rod for the “rule” – meaning that it should be the rod that you will fish most often when you venture out to your most frequented rivers or ponds. Make sure the rod fits the geography where you want it to perform.
2) Have the rods’ taper explained in detail to you. Make sure that you cast it, if possible, before shaking your head vertically as a sign of ownership.
3) Check on the rods’ guarantee from the company of origin. Misfortunes are a part of fly fishing!!
4) An outstanding fly rod gets “better with age” – Meaning that as your skill set develops over time your new rod will actually perform better! You will extract features from the rod that were “hidden” from you but now benefit your enhanced skill set.
5) Realize that the fine instrument you purchased will never lose its’ efficiency. It’s not like milk over time – it will not go bad!
6) While price is important, it should not be the overriding reason for purchase. Treating yourself to a new finely detailed rod that meets all of your expectations will be worth the price. If your purchase price causes you to “eat hamburger helper” for the next year or so – Don’t buy the rod.
The feeling of quality workmanship and increased efficiency in your hand has subtle benefits over time that truly move the needle of enjoyment.
Come in to see the line-up of new Thomas & Thomas and Hardy Rods that are truly at the top of their class. I can assist you with all of your requirements.
Internet Purchasing vs. ESFS Purchasing
When you take a look at the rewards program being offered and all the products I carry for your needs, it should become apparent that I’m trying to meet the needs of everyone in the fly fishing community.
Please look closely at the rewards program in conjunction with your purchase needs as I can confidently make the claim that with the rewards program the Evening Sun Fly Shop is the least expensive fly shop in America – Bar none!! There is no fly shop that I know or any conglomerate, mega box store that competes with my prices.
|Internet Purchasing||Evening Sun Purchasing|
|Can’t see or touch product||See, touch and feel before you buy|
|Often you pay for freight/shipping||No freight/shipping charges|
|No custom fitting on waders or boots, sunglasses, or any item where sizing is critical||Try it on before you buy it. Sizing is critical to your purchase|
|Not usually a knowledgeable, trained person to talk to who has used the product(s)||Well skilled, trained people to talk to and explain your needs|
|Minimal if at all rewards program||A rewards program that yields up to 31% for your purchasing. Unheard of in the industry!!!|
These are at least 5 reasons to consider calling, stopping in or e-mailing the shop before you CLICK the mouse. You will help to support a local business that truly cares for you as a client and you will pay no more and always get FREE shipping to your door. Please try us out!!
So you think you know everything?
The ESFS will be running every month interesting factoids…
Daylight Saving Time concludes at 2 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 6, 2022, when the clock will “fall back” one hour and in theory, we get one extra hour of sleep.
New Fly Tying Items
New items that have arrived at the shop:
1) Lots of different soft hackle skins for wet flies and emergers
2) A very beautiful Red Fox skin that I have placed into pieces
3) A very different and unique Silver Fox skin – cut into pieces. Both these skins can be used for Streamers, tailing material, and dubbing needs.
4) New Streamer and Wooly Bugger Hackle. Lots of new colors including dyed grizzly specimens.
Millers River maps
Finally in. Come and take a look at the latest & greatest map created by the shop for this river.
Squannacook and Nissitissit maps
Get your map of the local rivers – the Squannacook & Nissitissit that I created in the store. 700+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.
Deerfield River maps
Announcement: I have finally finished the third map in the series: Come in and get your new copy of The Deerfield River Map.