To my loyal & valued customers,
Clocks changing time and sun angles changing weekly are indicators of why we wait out our winters so patiently. Running water along edgeless banks of ice can only mean that the DFW are preparing to stock our area rivers as soon as the pH of the water dictates. I for one am hoping that this happens sooner than later. Looking forward to a bent rod with a leaping fish is an inspiring event.
Clean your lines, check your waders for wear and leaks, once again fit your wading boots and check your excessive wear. Winter stoneflies will be appearing in the next couple of weeks so the fish that held over will be “looking up” towards the buffet line. Organize your fly boxes while watching TV and see where you can fill in voids in your offerings. Tie up some needs or stop in the shop to fill up. Either way, get ready as it will be on our doorstep by the end of March.
With the increased price of gas, lots of folks will be looking for places to fish that don’t drain your tank. Stop in the shop for some suggestions as to where to go for a productive day of fishing. Mass. stocks many rivers with outsize fish that don’t require a 3-4 hour drive. Lower NH and central Mass. also offer some nice opportunities as well.
Regards and See You on the Water,
ESFS Upcoming Events – 2022 Classes
- March 27, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School (SOLD OUT)
- April 10, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School (SOLD OUT)
- April 24, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School (SOLD OUT)
- May 1, 2022 — Aquatic Bugology Class (3 spots left)
- May 15, 2022 — Learn to Nymph Fish Class (3 spots left)
- 2 sessions – 3 people each
- 8:00am – 12:00pm / 1:00pm – 5:00pm
March 2022 Shop Specials
1) Purchase a new set of waders and wading boots package and receive a $50 shop gift certificate.
2) Purchase any new fly rod worth $400 or more and receive $25 in free flies and $25 of new tools or leaders and tippet (your choice).
ESFS Guide Service
Bryan Parker will be spearheading a new ESFS offering of guide service. We will be guiding both for cold as well as warm water species. Please call or e-mail the shop for pricing and schedule availability for Bryan and Scott.
ESFS Thoughts on a Purchase of a new Outstanding Rod:
Many considerations are given to thought when making a substantial purchase of one kind or another – in this case a new High-Grade fly rod. Here are some ideas that may resonate with you:
1) Purchase the rod for the “rule” – meaning that it should be the rod that you will fish most often when you venture out to your most frequented rivers or ponds. Make sure the rod fits the geography where you want it to perform.
2) Have the rods’ taper explained in detail to you. Make sure that you cast it, if possible, before shaking your head vertically as a sign of ownership.
3) Check on the rods’ guarantee from the company of origin. Misfortunes are a part of fly fishing!!
4) An outstanding fly rod gets “better with age” – Meaning that as your skill set develops over time your new rod will actually perform better! You will extract features from the rod that were “hidden” from you but now benefit your enhanced skill set.
5) Realize that the fine instrument you purchased will never lose its’ efficiency. It’s not like milk over time – it will not go bad!
6) While price is important, it should not be the overriding reason for purchase. Treating yourself to a new finely detailed rod that meets all of your expectations will be worth the price. If your purchase price causes you to “eat hamburger helper” for the next year or so – Don’t buy the rod.
The feeling of quality workmanship and increased efficiency in your hand has subtle benefits over time that truly move the needle of enjoyment.
Come in to see the line-up of new Thomas & Thomas and Hardy Rods that are truly at the top of their class. I can assist you with all of your requirements.
Internet Purchasing vs. ESFS Purchasing
When you take a look at the rewards program being offered and all the products I carry for your needs, it should become apparent that I’m trying to meet the needs of everyone in the fly fishing community.
Please look closely at the rewards program in conjunction with your purchase needs as I can confidently make the claim that with the rewards program the Evening Sun Fly Shop is the least expensive fly shop in America – Bar none!! There is no fly shop that I know or any conglomerate, mega box store that competes with my prices.
|Internet Purchasing||Evening Sun Purchasing|
|Can’t see or touch product||See, touch and feel before you buy|
|Often you pay for freight/shipping||No freight/shipping charges|
|No custom fitting on waders or boots, sunglasses, or any item where sizing is critical||Try it on before you buy it. Sizing is critical to your purchase|
|Not usually a knowledgeable, trained person to talk to who has used the product(s)||Well skilled, trained people to talk to and explain your needs|
|Minimal if at all rewards program||A rewards program that yields up to 31% for your purchasing. Unheard of in the industry!!!|
These are at least 5 reasons to consider calling, stopping in or e-mailing the shop before you CLICK the mouse. You will help to support a local business that truly cares for you as a client and you will pay no more and always get FREE shipping to your door. Please try us out!!
So you think you know everything?
The ESFS will be running every month interesting factoids…
March 7, 1933 — The board game Monopoly was created and trademarked by Charles Darrow in Atlantic City.
CUSTOM Bamboo Rod for Sale
2 piece custom Gove Hill Bamboo Rod 7ft 4wt for sale at the shop. Custom designed for me. I chose to buy an alternative rod so this gem is for sale here. Priced at $895. Price Now dropped by $100.
New Fly Tying Items
New items that have arrived at the shop:
1) Lots of different soft hackle skins for wet flies and emergers
2) A very beautiful Red Fox skin that I have placed into pieces
3) A very different and unique Silver Fox skin – cut into pieces. Both these skins can be used for Streamers, tailing material, and dubbing needs.
4) New Streamer and Wooly Bugger Hackle. Lots of new colors including dyed grizzly specimens.
Millers River maps
Finally in. Come and take a look at the latest & greatest map created by the shop for this river.
Squannacook and Nissitissit maps
Get your map of the local rivers – the Squannacook & Nissitissit that I created in the store. 700+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.
Deerfield River maps
Announcement: I have finally finished the third map in the series: Come in and get your new copy of The Deerfield River Map.