To my loyal & valued customers,
Happy March 2021 to all. Bring on the bugs, spring rain and a medley of new places to fish this spring. Fly fishing is as much about “new water” as it is about hooking and playing fish. New water brings on different challenges and a wealth of opportunities to “make a memory”. New water can help us escape the onslaught of etiquette-less anglers who sometimes ruin the moment. Find your piece of “new” before someone beats you to it!
Stay healthy and if you choose to get vaccinated good luck. Get out on the water and enjoy a small pleasure that brings large rewards.
Regards and See You on the Water, Charlie Shadan
Tentative Class Dates for 2021
1) Learn to Nymph Fish – 2 Groups (morning and afternoon) — April 25th, 2021 SOLD OUT
2) Aquatic Bugology Class — May 16th, 2021 (still some spots open)
3) Beginners “Learn to Fly Fish” School — Dates to be determined pending status of the virus
ESFS Thoughts on a Purchase of a new Outstanding Rod:
Many considerations are given to thought when making a substantial purchase of one kind or another – in this case a new High Grade fly rod. Here are some ideas that may resonate with you:
1) Purchase the rod for the “rule” – meaning that it should be the rod that you will fish most often when you venture out to your most frequented rivers or ponds. Make sure the rod fits the geography where you want it to perform.
2) Have the rods’ taper explained in detail to you. Make sure that you cast it, if possible, before shaking your head vertically as a sign of ownership.
3) Check on the rods’ guarantee from the company of origin. Misfortunes are a part of fly fishing!!
4) An outstanding fly rod gets “better with age” – Meaning that as your skill set develops over time your new rod will actually perform better! You will extract features from the rod that were “hidden” from you, but now benefit your enhanced skill set.
5) Realize that the fine instrument you purchased will never lose its’ efficiency. It’s not like milk over time – it will not go bad!
6) While price is important, it should not be the overriding reason for purchase. Treating yourself to a new finely detailed rod that meets all of your expectations will be worth the price. If your purchase price causes you to “eat hamburg helper” for the next year or so – Don’t buy the rod.
The feeling of quality workmanship and increased efficiency in your hand has subtle benefits over time that truly move the needle of enjoyment.
Come in to see the line-up of new Thomas & Thomas and Hardy Rods that are truly at the top of their class. I can assist you with all of your requirements.
March Shop Specials
1) Purchase a new fly rod and reel combo worth $499 or over and get a $50.00 shop gift certificate to be used on supplemental equipment and products.
2) Purchase a new pair of Korkers Wading boots and get a free dozen of flies.
Internet Purchasing vs. ESFS Purchasing
When you take a look at the rewards program being offered and all the products I carry for your needs, it should become apparent that I’m trying to meet the needs of everyone in the fly fishing community.
Please look closely at the rewards program in conjunction with your purchase needs as I can confidently make the claim that with the rewards program the Evening Sun Fly Shop is the least expensive fly shop in America – Bar none!! There is no fly shop that I know or any conglomerate, mega box store that competes with my prices.
|Internet Purchasing||Evening Sun Purchasing|
|Can’t see or touch product||See, touch and feel before you buy|
|Often you pay for freight/shipping||No freight/shipping charges|
|No custom fitting on waders or boots, sunglasses or any item where sizing is critical||Try it on before you buy it. Sizing is critical to your purchase|
|Not usually a knowledgeable, trained person to talk to who has used the product(s)||Well skilled, trained people to talk to and explain your needs|
|Minimal if at all rewards program||A rewards program that yields up to 31% for your purchasing. Unheard of in the industry!!!|
These are at least 5 reasons to consider calling, stopping in, or e-mailing the shop before you CLICK the mouse. You will help to support a local business that truly cares for you as a client and you will pay no more and always get FREE shipping to your door. Please try us out!!
So you think you know everything?
The ESFS will be running every month interesting factoids…
On March 10, 1876, Alexander Graham Bell made the first ever phone call. It was to his assistant and he said “Mr. Watson, come here. I want to see you.”
Millers River maps
Finally in. Come and take a look at the latest & greatest map created by the shop for this river.
New Fly Tying Items
New items that have arrived at the shop:
1) Lots of different soft hackle skins for wet flies and emergers
2) A very beautiful Red Fox skin that I have placed into pieces
3) A very different and unique Silver Fox skin – cut into pieces. Both these skins can be used for Streamers, tailing material, and dubbing needs.
4) New Streamer and Wooly Bugger Hackle. Lots of new colors including dyed grizzly specimens.
Squannacook and Nissitissit maps
Get your map of the local rivers – the Squannacook & Nissitissit that I created in the store. 700+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.