To my loyal & valued customers,
Happy New Year to all. Can someone please explain why each month seems to go by as fast as a week? It seems to me that each year has only “12 weeks” now.
Anyhow – Let’s talk fishin’ – specifically fly. Daily at the shop people are coming in to talk about their exploits on our area rivers. Increasingly a number of folks are still having 2+ fish days on the Nissitissit and Squannacook. Our moderate temps and lack of ice-covered banks are helping to extend the season.
Size 16, 18, 20 midges on the bottom are the ticket. Beaded and non-beaded nymphs, eggs and worms are still a staple. Don’t forget to get your new license beginning on Saturday!
The Swift River and the Quinapoxet River are also spots that you can have some fun on. If going to the Swift – stop in and get some of my small midges that work well on different parts of the Swift. Be prepared to fish with 6 and 7x tippet (flouro) on the Swift.
The shop has an extensive array of new wooden nets to decide from as well as a large selection of comfortable waders (Redington) and comfortable wading boots (Korkers). Stop in and say hello and see what’s new in the shop.
Regards and See You on the Water,
ESFS Upcoming Events – 2022 Classes
- March 27, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School (SOLD OUT)
- April 10, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School
- April 24, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School
- May 1, 2022 — Aquatic Bugology Class
- May 15, 2022 — Learn to Nymph Fish Class
- 2 sessions – 3 people each
- 8:00am – 12:00pm / 1:00pm – 5:00pm
January 2022 Shop Specials
1) Purchase any new wooden net (Rubber Bag) and receive a $15.00 shop gift certificate.
2) Purchase any pair of Redington Waders and receive a $20.00 shop gift certificate.
3) Purchase any new Ross Reel from the shop and get a $25.00 shop gift certificate.
ESFS Guide Service
Bryan Parker will be spearheading a new ESFS offering of guide service. We will be guiding both for cold as well as warm water species. Please call or e-mail the shop for pricing and schedule availability for Bryan and Scott.
ESFS Thoughts on a Purchase of a new Outstanding Rod:
Many considerations are given to thought when making a substantial purchase of one kind or another – in this case a new High-Grade fly rod. Here are some ideas that may resonate with you:
1) Purchase the rod for the “rule” – meaning that it should be the rod that you will fish most often when you venture out to your most frequented rivers or ponds. Make sure the rod fits the geography where you want it to perform.
2) Have the rods’ taper explained in detail to you. Make sure that you cast it, if possible, before shaking your head vertically as a sign of ownership.
3) Check on the rods’ guarantee from the company of origin. Misfortunes are a part of fly fishing!!
4) An outstanding fly rod gets “better with age” – Meaning that as your skill set develops over time your new rod will actually perform better! You will extract features from the rod that were “hidden” from you but now benefit your enhanced skill set.
5) Realize that the fine instrument you purchased will never lose its’ efficiency. It’s not like milk over time – it will not go bad!
6) While price is important, it should not be the overriding reason for purchase. Treating yourself to a new finely detailed rod that meets all of your expectations will be worth the price. If your purchase price causes you to “eat hamburger helper” for the next year or so – Don’t buy the rod.
The feeling of quality workmanship and increased efficiency in your hand has subtle benefits over time that truly move the needle of enjoyment.
Come in to see the line-up of new Thomas & Thomas and Hardy Rods that are truly at the top of their class. I can assist you with all of your requirements.
Internet Purchasing vs. ESFS Purchasing
When you take a look at the rewards program being offered and all the products I carry for your needs, it should become apparent that I’m trying to meet the needs of everyone in the fly fishing community.
Please look closely at the rewards program in conjunction with your purchase needs as I can confidently make the claim that with the rewards program the Evening Sun Fly Shop is the least expensive fly shop in America – Bar none!! There is no fly shop that I know or any conglomerate, mega box store that competes with my prices.
|Internet Purchasing||Evening Sun Purchasing|
|Can’t see or touch product||See, touch and feel before you buy|
|Often you pay for freight/shipping||No freight/shipping charges|
|No custom fitting on waders or boots, sunglasses, or any item where sizing is critical||Try it on before you buy it. Sizing is critical to your purchase|
|Not usually a knowledgeable, trained person to talk to who has used the product(s)||Well skilled, trained people to talk to and explain your needs|
|Minimal if at all rewards program||A rewards program that yields up to 31% for your purchasing. Unheard of in the industry!!!|
These are at least 5 reasons to consider calling, stopping in or e-mailing the shop before you CLICK the mouse. You will help to support a local business that truly cares for you as a client and you will pay no more and always get FREE shipping to your door. Please try us out!!
So you think you know everything?
The ESFS will be running every month interesting factoids…
As of January 3, 1959, Alaska officially became the 49th state of the United States.
CUSTOM Bamboo Rod for Sale
2 piece custom Gove Hill Bamboo Rod 7ft 4wt for sale at the shop. Custom designed for me. I chose to buy an alternative rod so this gem is for sale here. Priced at $995.
New Fly Tying Items
New items that have arrived at the shop:
1) Lots of different soft hackle skins for wet flies and emergers
2) A very beautiful Red Fox skin that I have placed into pieces
3) A very different and unique Silver Fox skin – cut into pieces. Both these skins can be used for Streamers, tailing material, and dubbing needs.
4) New Streamer and Wooly Bugger Hackle. Lots of new colors including dyed grizzly specimens.
Millers River maps
Finally in. Come and take a look at the latest & greatest map created by the shop for this river.
Squannacook and Nissitissit maps
Get your map of the local rivers – the Squannacook & Nissitissit that I created in the store. 700+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.
Deerfield River maps
Announcement: I have finally finished the third map in the series: Come in and get your new copy of The Deerfield River Map.