To my loyal & valued customers,
I have to pinch myself each day as I awake. It is hard to believe that August is upon us and there is plenty of water in our area streams and rivers. My lawn is “spring” green. People are out fishing all over the place and lots of fish are being brought to net!
My fishing buddy Jack went to Vermont 3 days ago and fished one of the 7 to 8 trophy rivers in the state. His biggest was 22″ + (Rainbow) as he managed to fool 13-15 fish for the day. Shout out to Jack!
I am just back from Pennsylvania – practicing the technique/art of Euro Nymph – High Stick fishing – I learned a lot and also managed to catch enough wild browns to illustrate to me that this method is the “real deal”.
See me about booking Lance Wilt or Josh if you want to be amazed! These 2 guides are for real.
Regards and See You on the Water,
ESFS Euro Nymph Rod Special
The Rod is a 10’6″ 3wt and the Lamson reel features a sealed drag system. The special for all components is $469.99. Come in to the shop to see the items on the special.
Cortland’s Competition Nymph rods are built from high-modulus, ultra-sensitive graphite blanks and are weighted toward the butt to help maintain the optimum angle without tiring your wrist. The stealth matte black finish helps dampen vibration to prevent shock waves when presenting the fly.
Black, single-foot guides are oversized to ease leader knot transfers for fishing short distances. And the handle is thin, with an ergonomic taper that allows an angler to touch a finger against the blank for strike detection. The Lamson Liquid with its smooth sealed drag system works flawlessly on the large trout this method of fishing encounters.
- 10’6″ 3wt Cortland Competition Nymph Rod
- Lamson Liquid Reel for smooth sealed drag performance
- Cortland Competition Nymph fly line
- Rio Euro Leader for improved nymph turnover and built in sighter for visibility
- Tippet ring for easy replacement of tippet sections
- Properly installed and filled with Rio Fly Line Backing.
- Fully protected cordura rod & reel tube with dividers
- Lifetime warranty
ESFS Guide Service
Bryan Parker will be spearheading a new ESFS offering of guide service. We will be guiding both for cold as well as warm water species. Please call or e-mail the shop for pricing and schedule availability for Bryan and Scott.
Deerfield River maps
Announcement: I have finally finished the third map in the series: Come in and get your new copy of The Deerfield River Map.
ESFS Thoughts on a Purchase of a new Outstanding Rod:
Many considerations are given to thought when making a substantial purchase of one kind or another – in this case a new High Grade fly rod. Here are some ideas that may resonate with you:
1) Purchase the rod for the “rule” – meaning that it should be the rod that you will fish most often when you venture out to your most frequented rivers or ponds. Make sure the rod fits the geography where you want it to perform.
2) Have the rods’ taper explained in detail to you. Make sure that you cast it, if possible, before shaking your head vertically as a sign of ownership.
3) Check on the rods’ guarantee from the company of origin. Misfortunes are a part of fly fishing!!
4) An outstanding fly rod gets “better with age” – Meaning that as your skill set develops over time your new rod will actually perform better! You will extract features from the rod that were “hidden” from you, but now benefit your enhanced skill set.
5) Realize that the fine instrument you purchased will never lose its’ efficiency. It’s not like milk over time – it will not go bad!
6) While price is important, it should not be the overriding reason for purchase. Treating yourself to a new finely detailed rod that meets all of your expectations will be worth the price. If your purchase price causes you to “eat hamburg helper” for the next year or so – Don’t buy the rod.
The feeling of quality workmanship and increased efficiency in your hand has subtle benefits over time that truly move the needle of enjoyment.
Come in to see the line-up of new Thomas & Thomas and Hardy Rods that are truly at the top of their class. I can assist you with all of your requirements.
Internet Purchasing vs. ESFS Purchasing
When you take a look at the rewards program being offered and all the products I carry for your needs, it should become apparent that I’m trying to meet the needs of everyone in the fly fishing community.
Please look closely at the rewards program in conjunction with your purchase needs as I can confidently make the claim that with the rewards program the Evening Sun Fly Shop is the least expensive fly shop in America – Bar none!! There is no fly shop that I know or any conglomerate, mega box store that competes with my prices.
|Internet Purchasing||Evening Sun Purchasing|
|Can’t see or touch product||See, touch and feel before you buy|
|Often you pay for freight/shipping||No freight/shipping charges|
|No custom fitting on waders or boots, sunglasses, or any item where sizing is critical||Try it on before you buy it. Sizing is critical to your purchase|
|Not usually a knowledgeable, trained person to talk to who has used the product(s)||Well skilled, trained people to talk to and explain your needs|
|Minimal if at all rewards program||A rewards program that yields up to 31% for your purchasing. Unheard of in the industry!!!|
These are at least 5 reasons to consider calling, stopping in or e-mailing the shop before you CLICK the mouse. You will help to support a local business that truly cares for you as a client and you will pay no more and always get FREE shipping to your door. Please try us out!!
ESFS Tentitive Dates
Beginners “Learn to Fly Fish” School – TBD
So you think you know everything?
The ESFS will be running every month interesting factoids…
On August 6, 1762, the first-ever sandwich was created, at least with such a name. It was named after the Earl of Sandwich when he requested a dish involving meat between two pieces of bread. As the story goes, he requested it as he was in the middle of a gambling game and didn’t want to interrupt it.
CUSTOM Bamboo Rod for Sale
2 piece custom Gove Hill Bamboo Rod 7ft 4wt for sale at the shop. Custom designed for me. I chose to buy an alternative rod so this gem is for sale here. Priced at $995.
Millers River maps
Finally in. Come and take a look at the latest & greatest map created by the shop for this river.
New Fly Tying Items
New items that have arrived at the shop:
1) Lots of different soft hackle skins for wet flies and emergers
2) A very beautiful Red Fox skin that I have placed into pieces
3) A very different and unique Silver Fox skin – cut into pieces. Both these skins can be used for Streamers, tailing material, and dubbing needs.
4) New Streamer and Wooly Bugger Hackle. Lots of new colors including dyed grizzly specimens.
Squannacook and Nissitissit maps
Get your map of the local rivers – the Squannacook & Nissitissit that I created in the store. 700+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.