To my loyal & valued customers,
April ushers in a renewed hope of bent rods, plentiful bugs, and streams and still waters loaded up with our favorite species. Moderating temps, budding branches, and disappearing snow make my heart beat faster.
Can’t wait to see the advent of surface activity and the culmination of the take on one of my crafted dry flies. As I write this, I’m already conjuring up the places I intend to visit, the methods I will employ and the rods and lines I will use while on my quest. Half the fun is the journey and its planning along the destination route. I hope many of us share the passion collectively.
I visited the DFW last week and was told that the stocking would be done on the Nissitissit and Squanacook Rivers by April 1st. If not, they would finish on Monday 4/4/2022. Come get ’em before the herons do!
UPDATE: Both rivers were stocked yesterday.
Bust out your gear, get ready to explore, fill your tank and begin to enjoy “our season”. The time is here. Are you ready?
Regards and See You on the Water,
ESFS Upcoming Events – 2022 Classes
- March 27, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School (SOLD OUT)
- April 10, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School (SOLD OUT)
- April 24, 2022 — Beginners Fly Fish School (SOLD OUT)
- May 1, 2022 — Aquatic Bugology Class (3 spots left)
- May 15, 2022 — Learn to Nymph Fish Class (3 spots left)
- 2 sessions – 3 people each
- 8:00am – 12:00pm / 1:00pm – 5:00pm
April 2022 Shop Specials
1) Any new rod purchased over $500.00 receives a $75.00 shop gift certificate to use on supplementary items i.e. flies, leaders, tippet, etc.
2) Any pair of Korkers Boots purchased for over $149.00 receives a $25.00 shop gift certificate as an added gift.
The shop is fully stocked with as many items as our supply chain allows. There are over 20,000 flies to choose from – Many are new patterns. Lots of new waders, boots, nets, rods, leader & tippet. Come in to see the lineup of items that fill out your needs.
ESFS Guide Service
Bryan Parker will be spearheading a new ESFS offering of guide service. We will be guiding both for cold as well as warm water species. Please call or e-mail the shop for pricing and schedule availability for Bryan and Scott.
ESFS Thoughts on a Purchase of a new Outstanding Rod:
Many considerations are given to thought when making a substantial purchase of one kind or another – in this case a new High-Grade fly rod. Here are some ideas that may resonate with you:
1) Purchase the rod for the “rule” – meaning that it should be the rod that you will fish most often when you venture out to your most frequented rivers or ponds. Make sure the rod fits the geography where you want it to perform.
2) Have the rods’ taper explained in detail to you. Make sure that you cast it, if possible, before shaking your head vertically as a sign of ownership.
3) Check on the rods’ guarantee from the company of origin. Misfortunes are a part of fly fishing!!
4) An outstanding fly rod gets “better with age” – Meaning that as your skill set develops over time your new rod will actually perform better! You will extract features from the rod that were “hidden” from you but now benefit your enhanced skill set.
5) Realize that the fine instrument you purchased will never lose its’ efficiency. It’s not like milk over time – it will not go bad!
6) While price is important, it should not be the overriding reason for purchase. Treating yourself to a new finely detailed rod that meets all of your expectations will be worth the price. If your purchase price causes you to “eat hamburger helper” for the next year or so – Don’t buy the rod.
The feeling of quality workmanship and increased efficiency in your hand has subtle benefits over time that truly move the needle of enjoyment.
Come in to see the line-up of new Thomas & Thomas and Hardy Rods that are truly at the top of their class. I can assist you with all of your requirements.
Internet Purchasing vs. ESFS Purchasing
When you take a look at the rewards program being offered and all the products I carry for your needs, it should become apparent that I’m trying to meet the needs of everyone in the fly fishing community.
Please look closely at the rewards program in conjunction with your purchase needs as I can confidently make the claim that with the rewards program the Evening Sun Fly Shop is the least expensive fly shop in America – Bar none!! There is no fly shop that I know or any conglomerate, mega box store that competes with my prices.
|Internet Purchasing||Evening Sun Purchasing|
|Can’t see or touch product||See, touch and feel before you buy|
|Often you pay for freight/shipping||No freight/shipping charges|
|No custom fitting on waders or boots, sunglasses, or any item where sizing is critical||Try it on before you buy it. Sizing is critical to your purchase|
|Not usually a knowledgeable, trained person to talk to who has used the product(s)||Well skilled, trained people to talk to and explain your needs|
|Minimal if at all rewards program||A rewards program that yields up to 31% for your purchasing. Unheard of in the industry!!!|
These are at least 5 reasons to consider calling, stopping in or e-mailing the shop before you CLICK the mouse. You will help to support a local business that truly cares for you as a client and you will pay no more and always get FREE shipping to your door. Please try us out!!
So you think you know everything?
The ESFS will be running every month interesting factoids…
The Titanic sank on April 15, 1912.
CUSTOM Bamboo Rod for Sale
2 piece custom Gove Hill Bamboo Rod 7ft 4wt for sale at the shop. Custom designed for me. I chose to buy an alternative rod so this gem is for sale here. Priced at $895. Price Now dropped by $100.
New Fly Tying Items
New items that have arrived at the shop:
1) Lots of different soft hackle skins for wet flies and emergers
2) A very beautiful Red Fox skin that I have placed into pieces
3) A very different and unique Silver Fox skin – cut into pieces. Both these skins can be used for Streamers, tailing material, and dubbing needs.
4) New Streamer and Wooly Bugger Hackle. Lots of new colors including dyed grizzly specimens.
Millers River maps
Finally in. Come and take a look at the latest & greatest map created by the shop for this river.
Squannacook and Nissitissit maps
Get your map of the local rivers – the Squannacook & Nissitissit that I created in the store. 700+ copies have already sold to date. These maps will make great gifts.
Deerfield River maps
Announcement: I have finally finished the third map in the series: Come in and get your new copy of The Deerfield River Map.